May is still a transitional month between our dry and rainy season. By late May the normal rainy season weather patterns are set - sunny mornings and rainy afternoons. But there will still be plenty of beach weather around the North Pacific coast. The rain begins earlier on the Caribbean side, with afternoon and overnight showers.
Events and Holidays
- Nesting Period Olive Ridley Sea Turtle
The Olive Ridley Turtle, also known as the Pacific Ridley is one of the smallest sea turtle, eventhough it can weigh as much as 45 kg (100 lbs) and have a length of up to 75 cm (30 in). It is named for the olive-green color of its heart-shaped shell.
- Location: Pacific coast
- Hatching: 50 to 60 days
- Nesting Period: Close to a moon season
- Nesting Period Leatherback Turtles
Leatherback sea turtles are the largest living marine reptiles and live almost their entire lives at sea. The only times that they are on land is when the female turtles lay eggs, and when hatchlings emerge from the nest and make their way to ocean.
- Location: National Park Las Baulas, Playa Grande.
- Hatching: 50 to 70 days
- Nesting Period:April to November
- Nesting Period Loggerhead Sea Turtles
- Location: Tortuguero National Park
- Hatching:50 to 70 days
- Nesting Period: May to August
- Nesting Period Hawsbill Sea Turtles
The hawksbill turtle is small to medium-sized compared to other sea turtle species. Adults weigh 100-150 lbs (45 to 68 kg) on average, but can grow as large as 200 lbs (91 kg).
- Location: Atlantic (Tortuguero National Park) & Pacific (Playa Ostional, Playa Grande, Osa Peninsula)
- Hatching: 50 to 60 days
- Nesting Period: May to October
- Labor Day (May 1st)
Labor Day stems from ancient customs associated with the celebration of spring. It is also a national holiday for workers in many countries, including Costa Rica, and around the world. Here in Costa rica it is celebrated with parades. You will find banks and Government offices closed. The President addresses the Congress with the annual ‘State of the Union’ speech and the new President of Congress is elected.
- Día de San Isidro Labrador (May 15th)
Religious celebrations around the country in honor to San Isidro, patron saint of farmers, animals and crops blessing in junction with parades and local fairs.
- Carrera de San Juan (May 17th)
So close to San José through the historic Orosi Valley, a the Turrialba region is famous for its’ volcanoes - Turrialba and Irazú Volcanoes, as well as the river valleys such as the Pacuare River...
Average customer rating:
Total votes: 0